Eco-study, the facts about our planet.
| Good news, everyone! We might not have totally screwed ourselves YET... Alternet published this article in which the latest eco-study is related. The world's "most underappreciated eco-study" came out. Hence the media here don't mention it! It shows hope, and also facts. "60 percent of the planet's ecosystem services are being run down or used up faster than they can replenish themselves." There is a link to scenarios of what the planet would be like in 2050 which are not reassuring either!!! BUT the people who ran or were part of this study are optimistic: "We can make a very positive difference in ecosystem services by 2050. The caveat is that fundamental changes would have to be undertaken." So obviously we all need to make changes, at least for a start, we all need to make efforts, and it's not going to change a thing in our lives to start using bio cleaning products or bike a little more when we can. However, it sometimes makes me very angry to not be able to make my efforts all the way! While we're killing people in Irak (and elsewhere), spending all this money we had after Clinton and more, we're not helping the enormous share of pollution we're producing (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the US is producing %25 of the world pollution, even if that figure is not completely right, we all know we're the biggest polluter!)! Shouldn't it be the government's role to provide more help when we want to buy a hybrid or electrical car? Here in Los Angeles we have a bunch of electric stations that barely get used because we weren't sold the cars to go with it! And when I look at the prices for the hybrids, even with government deductions, it's still too much for me! So with all of the will in the world, I still can't help all that much if I want to reduce my own share of destruction! So I know I'm very biased and I really don't like the administration we currently have, I know that during the Clinton years I didn't have a cleaner car in my garage, but at least I was happy to hear that there was a surplus in the economy which gave me hope to get one of those vehicles at some point! Now I feel like the optimism in this study is a little naive in some respect, because beyond changing our house cleaners and bringing totes to the grocery store instead of taking plastic, I don't feel I have the power to change anything! "Economic policy can contribute to sustainable ecosystem services over the long run." |

Comments on "Eco-study, the facts about our planet."
post a comment