• Sign up to receive new posts through email...
    Enter your address here:



    No spam, just new posts!!

    CURRENT MOON
    moon info

My Photo
Name:
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Monday, November 14, 2005

American naturalization manual.

Ahhh, American citizenship....
I downloaded the "naturalization manual" to start reading about it since I have to make a choice about applying for citizenship or not.
If I choose to do it, I can put in my application starting in February...

How can I choose? it's so hard to want this citizenship these days! If only I could have been eligible in the Clinton years. *sigh*...

The pros are that I would be able to vote (big plus!!!! I enjoy civic rights!), I would have the same citizenship as my husband (future husband = future dad of my children) which I think is important when we have children, and last one is that I might be less scared to protest!

The cons are that... well, how do I say this... I would be American!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHH!
Ok, I'm exaggerating, obviously I love "my" americans, meaning that I don't hang out with the fanatics I hate so much whether they be christians, jews, muslims or others! SO, in light of that, I do love the good sides of America, the first being the complete opposite to the bad french side of being so self conscious. I know it sounds superficial, but since I moved here I've been wearing what I want, when I want, nobody really cares. When I lived in Paris, it was close to having to dress up to take down the trash... Not kidding! I really like that freedom here. It helps my artistic expression as well, not the clothes but the whole symbol of this! (though I know that being older now I would take it differently if I was still there...)

I probably will apply for the citizenship because of the list of pros already written above.
In any case, the manual is actually very interesting, and I have to share!

First of all, even though people forget this sometimes, I think it's a quote that should be written in public transportation and other public places so everyone sees it regularly:

"The United States is a nation of immigrants. Throughout our history, immigrants have come here seeking a better way of life and have strengthened our nation in the process."

And then you're reminded that the american citizenship might be the best one you choose among the menu you get at the door after being sat...:

"Deciding to become a US citizen is one of the most important decisions in a person's life. If you decide to apply for naturalization you will be showing your commitment to the United States. You will also be showing your loyalty to its Constitution and its people."

Ok.. I can go with that, although "commitment" and "loyalty" are strong words, it can be taken in many different ways, I choose to take it in the sense that I need to respect everybody else's opinions, religions and cultures of this country! I definitely can abide by that!

"The Oath of Allegiance includes several promises you must make when you become a US citizen, including promises to:
-give up prior allegiances to other countries;
-support and defend the Constitution and the laws of the United States;
-swear allegiance to the United States; and
-serve the country when required"

I thought I could keep my french citizenship, both countries accept dual citizenship, so why do I have to give up my allegiances to France? Ok ok, I know, we never have to recite any allegiances to anything in class there, except maybe knowing our anthem, but that's about it.. Still, I don't want to give up my "frenchness", which includes my right to vote there, which to me suggests an allegiance to that country!
Another question... How do I defend the Constitution? Is it attacked? By who? Nobody told me! Aaahhh, right, I forgot, Osama Ben Laden... No? Oh, I forgot, it's not him anymore, right, oh man, I'm going to flunk the test! >-]
Commenting on the the last sentence in this Oath... Well, I will have to keep this for myself until I take the exam because I don't want to make that opinion too public. hum hum!

Then the manual pretty much has charts you can read to see if you are eligible or not. It's easy for me because I fall in the %90 who have been resident aliens for at least 5 years (yes, I know, I'm an alien in L.A!).

The rest of this document continues with a lot of insistence on the fact that you have to give up all allegiances to other countries, and the Oath itself says:
"I hereby declare, on oath,
that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all
allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince,
potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I
have heretofore been a subject or citizen(...)"

I guess so much for wanting to vote for the next presidential election in France.... Why does the american government accept dual citizenships then? I mean, it's an Oath I have to take! What do I do!? I have to swear to this or I don't get my citizenship! But I don't want to give up my french rights! They are MY rights, and the main one is to vote!
GGRRRRR!!!!!

The last thing I thought was interesting was the choice of words for the definition in the glossary at the end for the Constitution:
"Constitution: The Supreme law of the United States. It may be changed only through amendment by Congress and ratification by three fourths of the states"... Wow, Supreme huh!? I always associated this term with "Divine" for some reason...
I thought the Constitution had no mention of religion!?
Then I got past being aghast, and realized I didn't know that the Constitution could only be changed by 3/4th of the states on top of Congress approval...
Now THAT's amazing! I was wondering why the Constitution had never been changed since it was made, what, about 200 years ago? I always compare with the french structure and in France the Constitution has been rewritten many times (15 times to be exact), so I'm somewhat puzzled sometimes. But I learn everyday :-)

Much pondering ahead of me.... "Hard to see the dark side is"....

Comments on "American naturalization manual."

 

post a comment